AJ Pritchard’s girlfriend Abbie Quinnen has suffered third-degree burns after a wine bottle exploded and set fire to her hair and clothing.
The professional dancer, 23, was filming a video with her Strictly star beau, 26, when the accident happened on January 19 and was driven to Ealing Hospital in London by his brother Curtis, reports The Sun On Sunday.
Since the awful incident, Abbie has needed three skin grafts and made 20 hospital visits with AJ caring for her as she recovers at home inbetween appointments.
Awful: AJ Pritchard’s girlfriend Abbie Quinnen has suffered third-degree burns after a wine bottle exploded and set fire to her ‘upper body’ (pictured the couple together)
Pictures obtained by the publication also showed a heavily-bandaged Abbie lying in bed with only a small section of her face visible underneath the dressings.
A source explained how AJ quickly reacted to the fire and tried to put out the flames with a wet tea towel before calling 999.
They told the publication: ‘Abbie was shocked and in a great deal of pain but AJ sprang into action to put out the fire with a wet tea towel.
‘He was terrified himself but he did all he could to stop her from burning. Abbie’s whole upper body went up in flames. It was like something from a horror film.’
Revealing how the duo are holding up, the source added that AJ has been there ’24/7′ for his girlfriend and has been changing her bandages.
The 999 operator reportedly informed AJ an ambulance would take some time to arrive so he and Curtis drove Abbie, who was in ‘agony’, to the hospital themselves.
Recovery: Since the awful accident in January, Abbie has needed three skin grafts and made 20 hospital visits
Abbie is thought to have then been admitted to intensive care before being sent to a specialist burns unit at Chelsea and Westminster Hospital the next day.
Speaking about how the accident happened, the source said that AJ and Abbie had been filming a video for their Instagram followers.
The clip involved dipping a rope in a flammable chemical and setting fire to it once wrapped around the bottle in order to cut the bottle in half and make a vase.
However the couple’s attempt went horribly wrong, with the bottle blowing up and causing Abbie’s hair and clothing to catch fire.
Support: AJ has been caring for Abbie at their home and changing her bandages
A spokesperson for the couple told The Sun On Sunday that Abbie is continuing to receive treatment and the duo wish to thank all the doctors for their ‘incredible’ care.
MailOnline has contacted Abbie and AJ’s representative for further comment.
AJ and Abbie have been dating since 2018 and seem to have gone from strength to strength during lockdown.
The I’m A Celebrity contestant recently gushed over his pro dancer love as he detailed how they’ve been discussing the future lots during the pandemic.
He told The Sun: ‘You know when you see a series like Below Deck or Selling Sunset and there’s a wedding? We always love talking about weddings.
‘We were best friends before we were in a relationship and I think that really hits home that we love spending time together.
Help: Curtis drove Abbie and AJ to the hospital on the night of the accident after they were told an ambulance would take some time to arrive (the brothers are pictured together in 2020)
‘We love doing everything together, to be honest, and it’s been great. There has been no downside, there’s been no arguments.’
Abbie has also gushed over her dancer beau in the past, admitting she believes AJ is ‘The One’ and that she was ‘going crazy’ without him by her side during his stint in the Welsh I’m A Celebrity camp last year.
In an exclusive interview with MailOnline, Abbie said: ‘I am so desperate to see him – I am going crazy I feel like I have been lost without him.
‘All I want to do is hug him and kiss him – it’s been too long now! I definitely can see he is missing me.
‘While AJ has been in the castle he organised some gifts for me that I’d have during his time in there to show he was still thinking of me.’
Couple: Abbie and AJ have been dating since 2018